Evaluating Internet Sources: Climate Change
Following a face-to-face library instruction session, students are assigned a short paper in which they select two [web] sources from a list and evaluate them using specific criteria (i.e. currency, relevance, authority, accuracy, and purpose). A real-life scenario is presented and real sources are provided from the first pages of Google search results.
- Students will construct various search phrases for use in online search tools
- Students will use certain evaluation criteria (e.g. CRAAP) to assess the credibility of online sources
- Students will examine sources for relevance to their research question and search need (specifically, to determine credibility of claims)
- Full lesson - description, sequenced instruction (i.e. outline), and performance task
- Assignment with suggested answer key
- CRAAP handout